Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sangria Perspective

It was fifteen years to the day I almost lost my life. I was sitting in a bar in Boston enjoying sangria with some of my closest friends. For the first time, I was compelled to “celebrate life.” The people who celebrated with me only knew of my near death experience through my recounting of events, and the occasional life frustrations I may vent to them about. I never celebrated that day before. To me, July 25th was always a day that represented loss. It was a day that my metaphorical rug of life was taken out from under me way too soon.
 I want to share my story of experiencing sudden illness, that can't quite be characterized as illness at all.  I want to share the story of how the understanding of others has brought me further in life than I ever thought I could go.
Every single one of us has a story. We need a platform to share it on. I want other "survivors" to share their stories and to be able to tell the world “Life tried to conquer me, but I conquered it.
I celebrated for the first time fifteen years of “life after the surgery” with a few friends, because they understand and appreciate me for who I am. They make me glad to be a survivor. It's hard when you experience something not many people understand. It's even more challenging when you must grow through life carrying those burdens around with you, and they seem to haunt you every step of the way.  It's why quality social connections are so important- they are part of what help us to survive.

Other people help us to see ourselves and our lives more clearly; where we have been, where we are going, and who we are. Sometimes we simply need someone to help us laugh at ourselves. Although we’re all broken in some way or another, I discovered that good relationships fill in the cracks and make us feel whole. They accept us as we are; broken bits and all. Friends actually help us to make sense of our "brokenness." We never have to forget the not so fabulous things that life throws at us, because they’re part of who we are. The challenge is to embrace them and learn from them. Having people in our lives that care about us and receive us, when they are well aware of our flaws, is a huge blessing that pulls us through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment